Thursday, September 8, 2011

Green Bean Cole Slaw

I found this recipe through FoodGawker. It was so pretty, I had to click on it. Go to the link below to see the original recipe/photo.
I learned a few things. First of all, a runner bean is similar to a green bean. I believe it's a British term, and from the number of recipes that suggest you "shred" runner beans, I think they must be larger than US green beans. Second... you can "shred" green beans. Who knew! This is good to know for raw green beans. They are much more tender and taste less "green" this way. Third, cole slaw has its name because veggies in the brassica family (i.e. cabbage) are known as "cole crops". Did everyone else know that but me? I never knew that.

So there you go. One minute you're on Food Gawker, looking at a pretty picture of a salad, and the next minute you're learning about British runner beans and that there is a reason behind the name "cole" slaw!

Green Bean Cole Slaw

Ingredients
  • 1 bunch fresh green beans
  • 1/2 small red cabbage
  • 1/2 very large carrot, shredded
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh sweet onion
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise (I used this one)
  • 1 Tbsp spicy mustard (I used this one)
  • Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Method
  • Wash green beans. Cut off the stems on the ends. You can also cut off the other end that has a little string sticking out, but it is not necessary.
  • To shred green beans, use the slicing blade in the food processor. Feed a handful of green beans at a time through the chute.
  • Repeat for cabbage.
  • Change to shredding blade, and shred carrot, onion and garlic.
  • Toss all veggies in a large bowl.
  • Mix mayonnaise and mustard in a small cup, to taste.
  • Toss mayo dressing with veggies. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I added some fresh sprouts on top. I also used a raw vegan mayonnaise so it would be a raw dish, but you could make it with any vegan mayonnaise.
The original recipe for Runner Bean Coleslaw is here

No comments:

Post a Comment