Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Healthy Homemade Gourmet Mustard

Adapted from this recipe.

I think this mustard recipe is infinitely adaptable. The first time I made this recipe, I couldn’t find black mustard seeds, so I used only yellow mustard seeds. I also made a half batch, as I wasn't sure how it might turn out, or how long it would keep.
Yellow mustard seeds
Here is my first attempt:

Homemade Gourmet Mustard, v.1
Ingredients
  • 3 Tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
  • 1/3 cup mix equal parts champagne vinegar & apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp dark agave syrup
  • 1/4 tsp. himalayan salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
Method
  • Combine all ingredients and soak 12 hours or overnight to allow the mustard seeds to soften and absorb the flavors.
  • Place mixture in blender and mix on high until the seeds have broken and the mustard thickens.
Result: The half recipe did not have enough volume to mix thoroughly in the VitaMix, so not all of the seeds burst, which resulted in a grainy -yet delicious- mustard. It lasted for about 6 weeks (until it was gone) without a problem in the refrigerator. I think it would have lasted indefinitely.
Not enough volume; mustard wanted to stay under the Vitamix blades
First batch with yellow mustard seeds

For my second attempt, I decided to make a full batch. Also, I finally found black mustard seeds in an Asian grocery, and wanted to try the spicy version.
Black mustard seeds
Here is the second version:

Homemade Gourmet Mustard, v.2
Ingredients
  • 4 Tbsp. yellow mustard seeds (mild flavor)
  • 2 Tbsp. black mustard seeds (spicy flavor)
  • 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp dark agave syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
Method
  • Combine all ingredients and soak 12 hours or overnight to allow the mustard seeds to soften and absorb the flavors. 
  • Place mixture in blender and mix on high until the seeds have broken and the mustard thickens.
Result: The spicy version is also delicious. I think I like the milder version better, but would make both again.

Whichever version you try, I would recommend making the full amount. When I made the half recipe, there was not enough volume to blend well in the VitaMix. The full recipe blended more thoroughly, resulting in a smoother mustard.
Second batch, using yellow and black mustard seeds

Try both versions, try adding your own flavors (honey, herbs, etc) and play around with the ratios. You are sure to find a version you love, and making it yourself is much healthier, and less expensive, than buying gourmet mustard in the grocery store.

More on the health benefits of mustard seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment