Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cookbooks

When I was in Orlando this weekend, Mrs. J brought me some cookbooks:
They both have really good recipes, and the fruit one has gorgeous pictures.

That reminded me of some other cookbook snapshots that were still on my cell phone. Like this one: 
For some reason, the placement of these books just cracked me up. You couldn't get further apart on the dietary spectrum. Ha!

This one caught my eye, because I love rock n roll... and bad puns : )

I noticed this collection at the local thrift store: 

Microwave... "cooking" Heheh.

Although, to be completely honest, until a few years ago, I thought you could cook in a microwave- and I thought even that skill was beyond me. I sortof "cooked" in a microwave: Lean Cuisine, Weight Watchers, baked potatoes, popcorn. If I added a bag of frozen veggies to my Lean Cuisine, I thought..."Hey! I added an ingredient, and put it in a real bowl... that's cooking!"

Like most people in my generation, I grew up with a microwave. I didn't know any other way to cook. Ovens were pretty much used twice a year for holidays- unless we ordered the turkey from Publix.

I do recall chocolate chip cookies after school, and pumpkin bread every Fall, and the occasional meatloaf. But I also remember a lot of microwave meals- which I didn't mind at all as a kid, or a college student, or even as a working adult. Heck, it was all I knew. I was raised on diet food and convenience cooking, and it was just fine with me. I really didn't think much about it, other than counting how many grams of fat, calories, and fiber were in my "food". (I could never go back to that now!)

I remember when we got our first microwave. It was called a Radar Range- that's what we called it then. My mom was so excited about it! She even took a microwave cooking class- which she was very enthused about. It must have been through IFAS/community education- I think it was at the local community college. It's funny to look back on that now... how the "Radar Range" was the new appliance that would produce fabulous meals and save everyone time in the kitchen.

Does anyone else remember the arrival of your family's first microwave? Was it a big deal in your house? Do you use a microwave now? Did you grow up with convenience foods and then have to learn to cook for "real"? What prompted your change to whole foods?
Photo source

No comments:

Post a Comment