Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Macadamia Nut Pancakes

This morning I had macadamia waffles. Well, OK, not exactly... I was eating raw macadamias from the bag as I was making a raw vegan pie crust. Then I made waffles... so actually, I had macadamias then waffles...

But it reminded me of a recipe I created a few months ago, when I was going a little crazy with both macadamias and coconut. I tried several versions at the time, including one with orange syrup, which was amazing. Enjoy!
Coconut Macadamia Pancakes (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
Yield: 8-10 small pancakes

Ingredients
1 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp corn-free baking powder
1/4 tsp himalayan salt
1/4 tsp vanilla powder
Approximately 1/2 cup seltzer water
2 tsp grapeseed oil
2 Tbsp raw cane sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp chopped macadamias*
1/4 cup shredded coconut

Method
In a large bowl, mix brown rice flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla powder.
In a small bowl, mix seltzer water, oil, sugar, and egg.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine.
Stir in shredded coconut and 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts.
Ladle batter by 1/4 cup measure onto hot griddle. Flip when bubbles start to form.
Tip: keep pancakes warm in a 200 degree oven while cooking all pancakes.
Serve piping hot with warm syrup. Top with remaining 1 Tbsp chopped macadamia nuts.

*Tip: Macadamia nuts do not have much flavor when raw. I recommend using roasted macadamia nuts for this recipe.
Fluffy AND gluten-free!
Vanilla bean specks... Mmmm
Macadamia Syrup

Ingredients
1/3 cup light agave nectar (I imagine you could also use pure maple syrup, honey, or Lyle's Golden Syrup)
1/4 cup macadamia butter

Best method: combine in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring continuously, until melted and thoroughly combined. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.
Lazy method (what I did): combine in a small pyrex measuring cup, and microwave for 30 seconds. Stop, stir, and heat again in 10-second intervals if necessary. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.

I cannot recall what I did to make orange syrup, but my guess is that I used the same method, using 1/3 cup agave and 1/4 cup orange juice (no nut butter).

Find health and other interesting information about coconut here and here
Find health benefits of macadamia nut here

No comments:

Post a Comment