Thursday, March 6, 2014

2014 EPCOT Flower and Garden Festival: Florida Fresh


We visited the Florida Fresh booth yesterday, and I was able to speak with two cast members who were dressed in a way that made me believe they were management for the event (I didn't ask), about the gluten free designations in the event passport. They clarified that:

1) The items marked gluten free in the event passports do not contain gluten ingredients
2) All items are handled in a small food booth, therefore there cannot be any guarantee that cross-contamination would not occur
3) For this event, only food items are marked whether or not they are gluten free. Beverage items are not noted (even if they might BE gluten free), except for gluten free beers, which are specifically noted.

As always, Disney staff was very friendly, accommodating, and knowledgable. One cast member even had it noted in her phone which items were designated as gluten free for every booth, not just the Florida Fresh booth, where I happened to speak with her.

This gluten free designation is very exciting to me! 


I ordered the Watermelon Salad with Pickled Onions, Baby Arugula and Feta Cheese (gluten free, vegetarian) Delicious! I love this salad. Of course, I love just about anything with balsamic reduction.

Shrimp and Stone-ground Grits (gluten free). I ate a shrimp, but not the grits. Sweet shrimp, spicy seasoning- very good.

Florida Kumquat Pie (obviously NOT gluten free, but it IS vegetarian) Tim said this was tangy, sweet, light, with a sweet, crispy crust. 

The Florida Fresh booth even included a kumquat tree in the plantings:

Each booth has demonstration plantings of some of the ingredients featured in that Outdoor Kitchen. Here are some more from the Florida booth:

There were a few "What am I?" activities, which is fun:
(This one is banana, in case you cannot see it on the sign)

This is where we stopped on Day One. Now it's time for Day Two. I was hoping for more sunshine today than yesterday, but it's raining today. That's OK, Disney is magical in any weather :) And even more magical, my friend Jen happens to also be in town- we met this morning for a character breakfast, & she may be joining us in EPCOT this afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment