Sunday, March 9, 2014

2014 EPCOT Flower and Garden Festival: Taste of Marrakesh (Morocco Pavilion)

None of the items at Marrakesh are gluten free, but the Moroccan pancake is vegetarian. This makes me sad, as I love Moroccan food. Hello… any country that makes baklava is gastronomical heaven in my book. I love just about anything wrapped in puff pastry. Sigh. Perhaps one day I will attempt gluten free phyllo dough. Don't hold your breath though. Phyllo is no easy task.
Taste of Marrakesh Outdoor Kitchen at EPCOT Morocco Pavilion
Marrakesh Passport Page
Morocco's garden display includes giant mosaic spice balls, which are quite stunning.
Garden display at Marrakesh Outdoor Kitchen
Baghrir (Moroccan Pancake with Honey, Almonds, and Argan Oil)
I was curious what exactly is in in Baghrir, so I looked up a recipe here. Definitely not gluten free :) And while many of us have heard about argan oil's benefits for skin and hair, I hadn't heard much about the possible health benefits of consumption. I found this WSJ article that is a good primer on argan oil, if you are interested in learning more.

Tim the Test Kitchen ordered the Lamb Brewat roll. I would have been more envious of this light, flaky deliciousness if it hadn't been lamb. Actually, if they could just wrap the fruit and nuts in the phyllo and leave out the meat entirely, that would make me happy. Oh, right, sweetness and nuts in phyllo dough... that would be pretty close to baklava. Ha.

Lamb Brewat Roll with Prunes and Sesame (wrapped in a phyllo type dough!)
Lamb Brewat Roll with Prunes and Sesame, inside view
(they were out of plastic knives at the time, I had to saw through with a plastic fork- this is the best I could do :)
If you would like to make your own Brewat rolls at home, or just know more about their ingredients, you can find a recipe similar to this one on the Disney discussion boards, here.

For more photos and descriptions of the food available year round in EPCOT's Moroccan Pavilion, check out their website, here. Tip: Restaurant Marrakesh at Moroccan Pavilion features belly dancers at dinner. Another tip: they offer a 10% discount to Annual Passholders during the week for lunch.

A third tip: Spice Road Table is a brand new Mediterranean restaurant at the Morocco pavilion. It is an open-air restaurant on the World Showcase Lagoon, and features tapas-like dishes. Spice Road does not accept any discounts at this time, not even Tables in Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment