Thursday, June 2, 2011

Gluten free flour mix (corn free, nightshade free)

I previously posted a gluten free flour recipe that has been working for me. I'm still happy with that recipe, but I am very pleased to report that I've now tried it using arrowroot starch in place of the bean starch (I ran out of bean starch). Not only does it work well, but I tolerate it! That's a biggie. I am so happy to know I have another ingredient option for gluten-free baking. I can't wait to try more arrowroot recipes (why do I have "arrowroot cookies" stuck in my brain?)

Photo source: here
Gluten free flour mix (corn-free, potato-free)
4 cups Bob's Red Mill organic brown rice flour
1 1/3 cups arrowroot starch
2/3 cups tapioca starch (also called tapioca flour)

This will make a 6-cup batch. Store in an airtight container, and use 1:1 as a substitute for regular flour.

As stated, the previous mix is just great- I've had no problems with it. This is just another option- particularly if you are sensitive to corn or potato, which are common ingredients in commercial gluten-free flour mixes.

Arrowroot starch might be easier to find in your local store than mung bean starch. By the way, don't let the mung bean name intimidate you, the bean starch I used doesn't have any flavor at all. Some other bean flours I've tried (garbanzo, fava) do taste like beans, but the mung bean starch I tried was flavorless.

Try both and see which you prefer!

No comments:

Post a Comment