Thursday, May 19, 2011

Raw vegan veggie burgers

These were really good! I will definitely make them again.
Photo by iheartmusems. Click for link.
RAW Vegan veggie burgers
Makes approximately 9 small burgers

Ingredients:
1 cup walnuts, soaked (I don't think you need to soak the walnuts, but that's what the recipe said, so I soaked them for about an hour. Next time, I wouldn't bother to soak them.)
3/4 cup shredded carrot, soaked for about one hour
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoon hamburger seasoning (below)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 Anaheim pepper, finely chopped (I would recommend a jalapeno rather than the Anaheim)
1/2 onion, finely chopped
Dash red pepper flakes

Hamburger seasoning (not raw)
2 teaspoons paprika (I omitted this, but I think it would help this mix a lot. I was trying to keep the nightshades to a minimum for me)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar (to keep this closer to raw, you could omit the brown sugar, and add 3/4 tsp dark agave nectar to the burgers)
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Instructions:
  • Combine walnuts, soaked carrots, sea salt, hamburger seasoning, and black pepper in food processor until you get a hamburger-like consistency.
  • Add the pepper, onion, and red pepper flakes and pulse just until mixed.
  • Form patties with your hands, just like you would with hamburger.
  • Optional: dehydrate at 115 degrees for approximately 4 hours. You can eat these as soon as you mix them, but dehydrating warms them up, and gives a little better texture, in my opinion.

Veggie burgers in the dehydrator

Joan came over to try the burgers, and she brought raw vegan red cabbage slaw to go with them. It was delicious. We used romaine lettuce leaves instead of buns. A totally RAW meal (except for the little bit of hamburger seasoning). We also topped the burgers with mustard made in the VitaMix- delicious!
I didn't get the best photos of this dish, but we were hungry! There was no time to arrange food to look pretty... it was time to EAT! 

Note: the original recipe called for 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked until very soft. I substituted the carrots since I don't eat tomatoes. I also think you could try roasted red peppers (not raw) instead of sun-dried tomatoes. I do think tomatoes would make the dish taste more like a traditional "hamburger", but this adapted version was very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment